YOUR HOME BASE FOR "DANCE WITH PRIDE"
PARADE DAY: SUNDAY, JUNE 24, 2018
This is your chance to dance your heart out through the center of the city alongside your friends, teachers and fellow Bay Area dancers! We'll be performing three fun, energetic routines celebrating diversity, community, and this year's theme: "Generations of Strength." Rhythm & Motion has partnered with Dancers' Group to celebrate the abundance and diversity of dance, which includes our amazing R&M students and dancers that represent diverse forms from all over the region. Together let's demonstrate the power and beauty of dance.
Check out a video clip from 2015, when we won the TOP prize of Absolutely Fabulous Overall Contingent! See how much fun everyone is having? Be a part of that glorious amazingness this year!! Dancers of all levels welcome—no previous experience required. You can learn the routines online, at our pre-parade rehearsals, and in select Rhythm & Motion classes throughout the month of June. It's going to be a blast!
REGISTRATION IS NOW CLOSED
Interested in learning more about the parade logistics? Then this 10-minute informational video created by the parade organizers is for you!
LATEST UPDATES - ALL REGISTRANTS PLEASE READ!
- Update #1 sent 6/5/18
- Update #2 (for dancers) sent 6/15/18
- Update #2 (for volunteers) sent 6/15/18
- Update #3 sent 6/19/18
Practice at home along with Rhythm & Motion's artistic director and contingent leader Dudley Flores.
- This is Me - Keala Settle and the Greatest Showman Ensemble
- I Wanna Dance With Somebody (2014) - Whitney Houston
- Americans - Janelle Monae
MANDATORY IN-PERSON REHEARSALS
Learning the routines online is great, but there's no substitute for the in-person practices. R&M Artistic Director and contingent leader Dudley Flores will go over many parade-day logistics and tips about how to perform the choreography successfully in a parade environment. The practices are also when we'll hand out the shirts! We require that you attend at least one rehearsal, but hope that you will attend more. The more we practice, the better our group will look on parade day!
Rehearsal times and locations:
- Sunday 6/3 from 11:30 to 1pm @ ODC Dance Commons (351 Shotwell Street, SF)
- Tuesday, 6/12 from 7:00-9:00pm @ ODC Dance Commons (351 Shotwell Street, SF)
- Thursday 6/14 from 7:15 to 9:15pm @ LINES Dance Center (26 Seventh Street, SF)
- Saturday 6/16 from 1:00-3:00pm @ Berkeley Ballet Theater (1370 Tenth Street, Berkeley)
- Sunday 6/17 from 2:00-4:00pm @ ABADÁ Capoeira (3221 22nd Street, SF)
- Tuesday 6/19 from 7:00-9:00pm @ ODC Dance Commons (351 Shotwell St. SF)
- Thursday 6/20 from 7:15-9:15pm @ LINES Dance Center (26 Seventh Street, SF)
- Saturday 6/23 from 2:00-4:00pm @ABADÁ Capoeira (3221 22nd Street, SF)
Also, many of our teachers will introduce the routines in their Rhythm & Motion classes leading up to the parade. Search the ODC Dance Commons online class schedule for the following Rhythm & Motion instructors who are teaching some or all of the routines in their classes:
- Larry Arrington
- Clara Baldwin
- Heather Bornfeld
- Maggie Connard
- Dudley Flores (also teaching at Alonzo King LINES Dance Center, SF)
- Kathleen Grusenski
- Rena Marie Guidry (Berkeley Ballet Theater, Berkeley)
- Wendy Rein
- Rebecca Setziol (Motion Pacific, Santa Cruz)
- Ryan Smith
- Leesha Zieber
Want to get involved, but not necessarily dance? Our volunteers help us keep our group moving smoothly. Carry a banner, pass out water to the dancers, distribute stickers to the crowd, and more. Volunteer registration costs $15 and includes a free limited edition shirt. Feel free to email Leigh or call 415-549-8525 for more information about volunteering.
All volunteers are required to watch a 10-minute informational video and then answer a 5-question survey (our contingent training code is RH9724). On the survey, please list "Rhythm & Motion and Dancers' Group" as your contingent, and "Parade Monitor" as your role. IMPORTANT: Once you have registered to volunteer, watched the video, and completed the survey, please email Leigh by TUESDAY, JUNE 19 so she can mark you off her list.
The 2018 Dance with Pride parade contingent is brought to you by: